Council VideosWatch All Videos
In order to add items, you'll need to create an account on the site. To do this, click on Log In.
Small Business Week
Small Business Week is an annual celebration of entrepreneurship and small business in Canada! This year, Small Business Week runs from October 16th to 22nd, 2022. There are 693 small businesses in our community and the Town of Drayton Valley is happy to promote and celebrate them during Small Business Week!
To learn more about Small Business Week, and the Business Development Bank of Canada who organized the first event 43 years ago, visit https://www.bdc.ca/en/small-business-week.
Drayton Valley and District Chamber of Commerce
A Chamber of Commerce is a voluntary organization of businesses and professional men and women who have joined together for the purpose of promoting the civic, commercial, and industrial progress of their community. The area’s economic well being is directly related to the calibre of work that is done by the Chamber. This is why the Chamber has a major impact on business, income and future growth of the area.
The Drayton Valley and District Chamber of Commerce offers many different benefits, and are always looking for suggestions on how they can serve you better! Here are some of the current benefits they offer local business:
- Access to a group insurance plan
- Access to their member-to-member insurance plan
- Keeping you up-to-date on current events and promotions in the area
- Promoting a “shop local” attitude to the community
- Promoting local business
- Networking opportunities
- Putting you in direct contact with other professionals
- Giving you the publicity boost you’ve been searching for
- Giving you a voice to the government
- Being a member of a strong and diverse network that gives business a voice to all 3 levels of government: municipal, provincial, and federal
- Helping you increase your business exposure in both online and offline formats
To contact the Drayton Valley and District Chamber of Commerce:
PO Box 5318 Drayton Valley, AB. T7A 1R5
5400-22 Ave (CETC Building)
Drayton Valley Small Business
Did you know there are 693 local businesses in Drayton Valley?!
To view the full Business Directory, click here!
5 Reasons to Support Local Business
Reason #1 – Impacts to the Local Economy
Shopping local keeps your money in your community and promotes local development. This is called the multiplier effect! Staying local helps the whole local business community prosper.
Reason #2 – Supports Local Job Creation
Local businesses provide many job opportunities to their communities and help people learn on-the-job business skills, as well as valuable marketable job experience.
Reason #3 – Sustainable Shopping Alternatives
Small businesses usually have shorter manufacturer-to-consumer journeys, and can often source local and ethical goods!
Reason #4 – Customer Experience Comes First
Local businesses can provide personalized shopping experiences, and thrive on offering good customer service.
Reason #5 – They Create a Sense of Community
Small businesses contribute to the heart of their local community, and provide character to their town or neighbourhood. This can also increase tourist traffic, further benefitting the community.
Did You Know?!
- As of December 2020, there were 1.2 million small businesses in Canada, making up 97.9% of total businesses nation-wide
- In 2018, small businesses contributed 37.5% to gross domestic product (GDP)
- In 2020, SMEs (small medium enterprises) contributed 43% of the total value of exported goods from Canada
- As of 2020, small businesses employed 7.7 million individuals in Canada or 67.7% of the total private labour force
- As of December 2020, Alberta had 159,021 small businesses with 1-99 employees
- As of 2020, small businesses made up 71.9% of total private sector employment in Alberta
- There are 693 small businesses in Drayton Valley
Get Involved in Small Business Week
If you’re looking to learn more, or participate in business development workshops, the Business Development Bank of Canada has a number of online webinars over the course of Small Business Week:
Dare to Do Things Differently
How to Succeed in Today’s Economy: A roadmap for SMEs
Startup 2 Scaleup: Recruitment Roadmap
Thinking Big, Supporting Small
Starting a Successful Business in Trying Times
Supporting Employee’s Mental Health in the Workplace
What SMBs Need to Know About Bill C-27
Fortifying Your Security Frontline with Awareness Training
For a full list of events, both online and in-person, during Small Business Week, visit https://www.bdc.ca/en/small-business-week/events.
Explore the site
An emergency or disaster can occur at any time. The Town of Drayton Valley is prepared to respond to several disasters and emergencies.
Read More »
Get involved in one of Drayton Valley’s longest competitive sporting events and fundraisers.
Read More »
Drayton Valley is working hard to reduce waste. Look at the Town's garbage schedules, tips and hours of operation.
Read More »
Building a sustainable community is the greatest gift we can give our children. By so doing we are making sure that they can enjoy the same lifestyle that we enjoy today.
Read More »