Why do I need both development and building permits?

The development permit is issued by the Town of Drayton Valley, confirming that the proposed development meets with the requirements of the Town’s Land Use Bylaw and all statutory planning documents.

The building permit is issued through the Town of Drayton Valley, but is the Safety Codes Officer’s authorization for the construction to proceed so that is meets provincial regulations (Alberta Building Code).