Council VideosWatch All Videos
In order to add items, you'll need to create an account on the site. To do this, click on Log In.
TELUS Smart Communities
The Town of Drayton Valley, in partnership with TELUS, has undertaken a Smart Communities initiative to increase security and address safety concerns in our community through the use of technology.
As you may be aware, Drayton Valley was one of the first communities in Canada that TELUS invested in for the PureFibre network upgrade – making Drayton Valley one of the most connected PureFibre communities in the country! With this advanced infrastructure in place the community was well positioned to be a test-bed for the new Smart Communities technology trials which address a variety of community priorities including crime.
A public open house was held on Wed., July 31 at the MacKenzie Conference Centre to talk about Council’s priority to address crime in Drayton Valley and how this technology will help. We thank everyone who took time out of their evening to provide their comments and feedback! Your input was valuable and will aid in the success of the pilot project.
As part of the Pilot Project, 5 cameras have been mounted at key intersections in Drayton Valley with the objective of:
- Traffic ingress and egress from the Town
- Infrastructure planning for the Town
- Congestion and timing of lights
Intersection Camera Locations
- 50th Street and Highway 22 (North entrance by Boston Pizza)
- 50th Street and Highway 22 (South entrance by the Derricks)
- 50th Avenue and 35 Street (Range Road 73 – Ring Road)
- 50th Avenue and 50th Street Intersection
- 50th Avenue and Highway 22 (West entrance by MacDonald’s)
The Pilot Project also included the installation of 5 cameras at outdoor public spaces for the purpose of:
- Planning for improvements or upgrades to these locations from
- Analytics to determine usage at these locations from the Town
- Reducing crime and vandalism at locations
Public Space Camera Locations
- Recycling Depot
- Skate Park
- Rotary Park
- Omniplex Parking Lot
- Arc Bark Park
The analytics gathered will be used by the Town of Drayton Valley for planning purposes and by the RCMP upon request.
In consultation with the RCMP, these locations were selected with the objective of deterring and reducing crime. The data will also be used by the Town to improve planning for upgrades and maintenance of these locations.
Recognizing that public information is being gathered, the Town of Drayton Valley is operating in compliance with FOIP.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Town Office at 780-514-2200.