Eleanor Pickup Arts Centre
The Eleanor Pickup Arts Centre came into existence in 2006, following a resolution by Drayton Valley Town Council to purchase the historic Cardium Theatre. The Cardium Theatre was originally built in Drayton Valley, AB, in 1956 – one of the first buildings to grace the streets of this rural Alberta community. It operated as a family-run movie theatre for 50 years, until, in 2006, plans arose to introduce a new multi-plex theatre in the town. We recognized the opportunity to not only save and restore this historic landmark, but to also make an investment in the town and the arts.
The centre is named for Eleanor Pickup, a pillar of the Drayton Valley community who passed away in 2006.
We envision, through renovations and upgrades, a revitalized venue for the performing arts in Drayton Valley and surrounding Brazeau County. We intend to encourage greater participation in the performing arts both locally and throughout the province and preserve the history and heritage of a local landmark.
The renovation of the centre will provide space for a wide range of activities including performing arts such as music, drama and dance, festivals, fundraisers, and municipal, church or organization meetings and gatherings. The historical context of the Cardium Theatre will be retained, as the façade is updated to create a true focal point in downtown Drayton Valley. The renovated centre will see updates to its facilities, access points, structural, mechanical and electrical systems, and upgrades such as technology, enhanced guest and user services.