Council VideosWatch All Videos
In order to add items, you'll need to create an account on the site. To do this, click on Log In.
Earth Day 2019
Drayton Valley aims to provide education and awareness to the importance of Earth Day’s 2019 campaign of “Protect Our Species”.
This sustainability initiative is in support of Earth Day Network whose mission it is to diversify, educate and activate the environmental movement worldwide. To learn more about Earth Day Network and Earth Day 2019, click here!
What Is Happening to the Species on our Planet?
WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THE SPECIES ON OUR PLANET?
A vast number of animals and plants have gone extinct in recent centuries due to human activity, especially since the industrial revolution. Many others are in serious decline and threatened with extinction, which affects genetic variation and biodiversity, among other issues.
WHAT IS CAUSING EXTINCTION?
OVER EXPLOITATION OF SPECIES
As the human population skyrockets, this consumption quickly became unsustainable. We have over fished our waters and hunted many species of animals to extinction.
Human development, deforestation, forest fires and use of pesticides all have an effect on habitat loss for our planets species
Changes in the Earth’s temperatures and weather patterns have impacted both plant and animal life
WHAT CAN YOU TO DO TO PROTECT OUR SPECIES?
REDUCE OVERALL CONSUMPTION
Consume less and be more mindful about what you consume.
- Choose products with eco-labels or that are safe and environmentally sustainable
- Buy food from local farmers who have sustainable practices.
- Buying organic and natural products when possible to support an industry that does not use pesticides and other chemicals known to harm wildlife
REDUCE YOUR USE OF ENERGY AND CONTRIBUTION TO CLIMATE CHANGE
There are a number of things you can do to directly reduce your carbon footprint, at home, at work, and when traveling.
- Replace inefficient incandescent light bulbs with efficient CFLs or LEDs.
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Install solar panels on your home.
- Use public transportation or carpool
- Keep your tires properly inflated and get better gas mileage. Your car will save gas and emit less carbon.
- Walk or ride a bike when possible.
- Purchase energy-efficient appliances and electronics.
The Town of Drayton Valley is proud to support a water conservation initiative which runs each year. This program is available for customers receiving Town water service who choose to install approved fixtures or appliances which reduce the amount of water consumed. Click the link to learn more about the Town’s POUR PROGRAM and learn how you can save money on your monthly water bill!
- Hang your clothes on a line instead of using a dryer.
- Turn off and unplug electronics you’re not using. This includes turning off your computer or cell phone at night.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator to save energy (and get exercise!)
REDUCE YOUR WATER CONSUMPTION
- Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth: which can save several liters of water each time.
- Take a shorter shower
- Use a water saving shower head
- Run your washing machine and dishwasher only with a full load of clothes or dishes.
- Fix any dripping tap and have your faucets and toilets checked at least once a year.
- Install a rainwater catcher to your drainpipe and use the rain to water your plants, clean your car and wash your windows.
- Water your garden with a watering can instead of the hose. Mulching your plants (with bark chippings, heavy compost or straw) and watering in the early morning and late afternoon will reduce evaporation and also save water.
- Use drought-resistant plants in dry areas
- Use environmentally-friendly, non-toxic cleaning products.
- Reduce or eliminate the use of all pesticides.
- Do not use chemical fertilizers.
- Properly dispose of all chemical products, such paints, solvents, etc.
- Do not flush your medicines down the toilet. Chemicals in medicines have been found in many waterways and can affect wildlife.
- Do not use sunscreen lotions that contains oxybenzone and octinoxate, chemicals believed to cause harm to marine life and coral reefs.
PREVENT PLASTIC POLLUTION:
- Reduce your consumption of single-use plastics, or eliminate them entirely. Click the link for tips on how you can reduce your plastic consumption
- Recycle everything you can.
- Participate in clean-ups.
- Pick-up plastic debris when you see it, especially in natural spaces.
To learn more about Earth Day and 2019’s Campaign to ‘Protect Our Species’ visit their website:
Take a quick quiz to test your knowledge!